The Sound and Vibration Measurement Program provides for certification of firms and qualification of individuals that meet criteria established by NEBB.
Purpose of the Certification Program
The purpose of NEBB certification is to offer tangible proof of competent firms and certified professionals qualified in the proper methods and procedures for sound and vibration measurement and testing.
The following objectives were created for this purpose:
- To promote and advance industry standards and to establish procedures and specifications for the measurement and testing of sound and vibration in HVAC systems.
- To set minimum education standards and other requirements for the qualification of personnel employed by firms who perform this work.
- To establish an educational program of instruction that will educate personnel in the proper methods and procedures for the measurement and testing of sound and vibration in HVAC systems.
- To certify as qualified to perform and administrate the measurement and testing of sound and vibration, those firms who meet the requirements for certification as established by NEBB, who comply with the objectives of NEBB, and who employ personnel who have met the qualifications established by NEBB.
- To serve as a focal point for educational and technical materials pertinent to the measurement and testing of sound and vibration.
Sound & Vibration Certification Requirements for Firms
Certification for Sound and Vibration is open to firms that meet NEBB criteria, including:
- Have operated for a minimum period of 12 months continuously as an engineering firm; BSC firm; mechanical contractor; plumbing contractor; fire protection contractor; electrical contractor; testing contractor; or an adjusting and balancing (TAB) contractor.
- Enjoy a reputation for integrity and responsible performance. Six letters of endorsement from building owners or contract awarding authorities in the firm’s area are required. Firms who are already NEBB Certified in another discipline will not need these letters.
- Be a member in good standing with a local NEBB Chapter.
- Possess, or have availability to, the various instruments listed below which are required for Certification.
- Confirm in writing that it will conform to the NEBB guidelines for the calibration and maintenance of the instruments required for Certification.
- Possess the current NEBB Procedural Standards for Measurement of Sound and Vibration.
- Designate in writing the Designated Certified Professionals who will represent the firm and be responsible for the Sound and/or Vibration Measurement and Testing.
Sound Certified Professional Certification Requirements
NEBB also establishes professional qualifications for the supervision and performance of work in the Sound Measurement discipline.
For the most current prerequisite, please email email@example.com
A firm’s certification shall automatically be suspended when the firm no longer meets all of the certification requirements listed above. The certification of a firm suspended will be automatically reinstated by NEBB at such time as it again meets the requirements for certification. The period of suspension will be no longer than one year at which time the firm will lose its certification automatically.
A certified firm must notify the local NEBB Chapter in writing within ten days of the temporary or permanent loss of the designated qualified certified professional.
Loss of Certification
Certification may be terminated for failure of the firm to abide by the objectives and performance standards of NEBB. Termination of certification by NEBB requires vote of the Board of Directors of NEBB provided that by similar vote the Board shall first find that certification is prejudicial to the best interests of the Bureau and provided further that the certified firm in question shall have had opportunity upon written notice of at least fifteen (15) days to show cause why the certification should not be terminated.